Friday, June 27, 2014

The Gratitude Diaries




A Bowl Full of Humility

Yesterday, my daughter and I got all dolled up to attend a much-anticipated book signing in downtown Atlanta. We eagerly jumped in the car, and I turned the ignition, and my car wouldn’t start.  It made a disturbing clanking sound and stopped. I had drained my battery! Before I got ready to go to the event, I sat in my car for 45 minutes, and chatted on the phone with a friend while my headlights were still on, and the car’s fan was on. I had the air blowing out the vents, and the car wasn’t fully cranked up. This caused my battery to temporarily die. I was so devastated because I had no jumper cables, and I am “Ms. Independent.” Therefore, I froze at the prospect of asking my neighbors for help. I just couldn’t do it. I called someone I knew from our subdivision’s home association group, but he didn’t help at all. He thought he knew someone who could possibly help me, but he didn’t know whether the mystery guy was home or not. I was getting so aggravated. I even considered using my roadside assistance through my car insurance. I knew that that option would take hours though.

I sat in my car for about 30 minutes, trying to figure out who had cables, and who would have the patience to jump my battery. My daughter saw one of my neighbors, and decided to just ask him. I hesitated (again because I hate asking people for help). But my daughter had enough sense to ask, and as a result, my neighbor and his wife jumped my battery, and we were on our way. 

Day 2

“Today, I’m grateful for three things: good neighbors, a daughter with common sense, and the revelation that I need to get over the fear of asking people for help when I need it.”


No comments: