Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Kinks R Us






Okay, so. I’m not going to lie. When I transitioned from my relaxed (permed) hair to my natural hair, it was no joke. I was scared but the decision was made. I was going to transition to natural hair. That was that. It was a definite must because my short hair was starting to shed like crazy. It was a nightmare ya’ll. I saw a huge bald spot in the back of my head one day, and I was praying, “Oh Lawd! Not my hurr Jesus!”


Wisdom came to the rescue. I sensed deep inside that it was time. It was time to say good-bye to the creamy-crack addiction that was poisoning my scalp and damaging my precious coils. But there was also a hurdle I had to get over. My hair was already super short, straight! I thought I was going to look like a boy if I allowed it to curl up! I was so afraid I would be judged. I thought some people would think I’m some type of radical chick with this “I’m black and I’m proud” message. But you know what this journey has taught me the most? It’s taught me how to stop caring about what people think.

If you are transitioning, just keep in mind that the day will come when you will see your natural texture, and love each kinky strand! It’s a part of accepting who you are and what you really look like underneath it all. It’s liberating actually. You learn that there is really no such thing as good or bad hair. It’s all good; however, you have to take good care of it. I have kinks, some waves, some stringy S curls, and even some straight stands. I embrace each one of them, and my hair do what she do. She’s fearfully and wonderfully made. In addition, I’m super inspired by all the ladies on YouTube, FaceBook, and other blog sites who fearlessly share their natural hair stories and journeys. Love you all! All of you. Until next time. . .



Tee

No comments: